Your work matters. I’m convinced that you can’t hear that often enough – particularly in the early years of your children’s lives when it can feel like perpetual sleep deprivation punctuated by diaper changes. I also fear that the formative work of mothering in early childhood is often undervalued – whether you are working full-time, mixing mothering and working, or making mothering your primary vocation.
I am also keenly aware that the social expectations on mothers are inhuman. As a full-time father, I often find acquaintances surprised that I know how to cook. Why? We have a double standard: we have lower expectations for fathers and higher (often impossible) expectations for moms.
A Manifesto for You
I have written this book for you to do two things:
- To validate your truly critical role in forming your children, and
- To paint a picture of flourishing that frees you from ridiculous expectations
You need to know that your labors in mothering matter – not only for your children, but for the flourishing of your community and society. You need to see the big picture of the formation of persons so that you can focus your talent and energy on those things that really matter, and be able to freely let go of the less important things.
Specifically, by reading this book, you will:
- Understand the lifelong impact of early home life on your children
- Recognize the power of early brain development for your children
- Identify the four key developmental areas that you influence
- Focus on the three critical levers for promoting healthy development
- Have a template for assessing your strengths and weaknesses, and a plan for establishing the habits that you desire
Because The Apprenticeship of Being Human:
- Provides an overview of the nature and rate of human brain development
- Offers a simple, compelling metaphor that captures the power of relationships
- Displays the power of stories in forming children for learning and life
- Establishes your role as a mother as foundational to flourishing communities
Are you a mommy blogger? I offer:
- Custom giveaways for your audience.
- Audio/video interviews on parenting, early ed, character formation, habits, and stories.
- Guest posts for your audience
- Webcast seminars
Want to use it for your parenting group or book club?
Contact me for volume discounts.